Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Riding...and falling

Today, our house sitter came over to see the horses again and the lay of the land. I also wanted to see him handle the horses, since he said he could and wanted to ride. So, I caught Rosie, we brushed and saddled and bridled...then both he and Amilia wanted me to ride first "to get her beans out"...
I hopped up in shorts (ow!! for the calves!), rode her around the paddock at a walk, trot then canter, held my own...surprised myself because it had been so long. Then Todd hopped up, we adjusted the stirrups and off he went, around the field and off Rosie onto the ground. Neither Amilia or I saw him fall; he says that Rosie stumbles in a hole and the saddle was very slippery---the scarry thing was that his boot stayed in the stirrup! He is used to riding western and we put him in an English saddle. Rosie did not move when he fell....yeah, what a good horse! He got back on, rode around for about 15 minutes then Amilia got on. She has not ridden at all in a long time because she did not want to ride Rosie and Princess was unreliable. She did amazing! She surprised herself I think...handled Rosie without any difficulty at all. Walk, trot, canter...and she did not fall.
Later on tonight, Todd messaged me on his phone that he hurt himself...ugg...but he was laughing....

No comments: